Thursday, January 17, 2008

Handwriting, Why Bother?

In my opinion handwriting is very important for special needs students. It helps them blend into the general population if they can copy from a textbook or the board. (This is especially crucial in the secondary setting in inclusion classes.) "My Kids" are bright enough to know, when they can't do anything that the other students are doing. I don't want them to have that feeling. Confidence will empower them. Good handwriting gives them a sense of accomplishment and pride. It enables them to write notes, sign greeting cards, take a message, and more importantly they need a legible signature to cash checks and sign other documents. Most of the parents I have worked with really value this skill also. I have been on the Internet looking at handwriting information. I found a very good check list, see it here:
Handwriting Check List

No comments:

Post a Comment